FAQ – Camp Jimbelung

< Return to Camper Pack

Frequently Asked Questions

What activities will my child do on camp?
Each age group will participate in different activities appropriate to their age. Embedded within these activities we will be intentionally teaching and practising social thinking and emotional regulation skills.

Camp activities include:

  • rock climbing
  • abseiling (oldest group)
  • low ropes
  • group initiatives
  • creek explore
  • shelter building
  • animal care
  • nature play 
How much will it cost?
Camp Jimbelung is a therapeutic camp run by registered Occupational and Speech Therapists.  It is a highly supported camp experience that provides experiences and opportunities for children to work towards therapy goals, experience growth and personally develop.  Children attending camp are eligible to use funding sources including NDIS, Private Health and Medicare CDM Team Care Plans.

Total cost in 2022 for the 3 days of camp inclusive of the therapy and the Currumbin Farm School fee is as follows:

  • Yellow Group: 5-6 year olds – $1793.42 per child
  • Green Group: 7-8 year olds – $1891.31 per child
  • Red Group: 8-9 year olds – $1988.30 per child
  • Blue Group: 10-12 year olds – $1988.30 per child
Can I use my NDIS or Medicare funding to pay for the camp?
As Camp Jimbelung is a therapeutic camp run by registered Occupational and Speech Therapists. Children attending camp are eligible to use funding sources including NDIS, HCWA, Medicare CDM Team Care Plans.
Do you provide food each day?
No. Children are asked to bring their own Morning Tea, Lunch and Afternoon Tea in an appropriate container. Refrigeration unfortunately is not available for camper’s lunches, but each group will have a large Esky to put lunchboxes in.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a NUT FREE camp.
What adult support is provided?
Creating a successful experience for each child is our highest goal for camp. To ensure the therapeutic process each group is led by two to three experienced Therapists and supported by Occupational Therapy and Speech Language Pathology students, and an Outdoor Educator from the Farm School. Each group will have a miminum ratio of 1 leader to 2-3 children.  
What supports will be in place if my child becomes upset?
Prior to camp we will gather information through the application form and a pre-camp meeting or phone call with you and your child, so that our leaders have an understanding of what may be challenging for your child, as well as what you know helps your child if he or she becomes stressed or upset. Throughout camp, we will be mindful of this information and draw on it as well as our skills as Therapists to provide calming input and support to help your child.
What is the procedure if there is an emergency?
Prior to camp you will be asked to complete both an application form and a medical form, including emergency contact details for your child. The Early Start Australia therapists leading the groups, as well as the Outdoor Education staff at the Currumbin Community Farm School are all qualified in First Aid and will be responsible for managing any injuries or medical situations.
We have in place a risk management plan for camp and emergency response procedure and providing training to all therapists and volunteers in these policies and procedures at the campsite on the Tuesday before camp starts. 
My child requires medication during the day, who is responsible for managing this?
If your child requires medication during the day this will be administered with your permission and instruction by the Therapist leading your child’s camp group. The Medication should be handed to check-in staff and a Medication Management Plan form will be completed with the parent/carer. If you indicate on the camper application form that your child requires medication, we will send you some additional forms prior to camp so that we can be prepared to assist your child with medication during camp.
My child has limited verbal communication skills, would they still be able to attend?
We would love to support your child in this situation. Some considerations we would discuss with you at the time of your application include, does your child have a way they can consistently communicate if they are unwell, need to go to the toilet, or are scared or hurt. This is important for their wellbeing during camp.
Our therapists are familiar with a range of assistive and augmentative communication methods and can integrate the use of these into the camp group interactions.
Are there any options for parents to attend/observe if my child has separation difficulties?
We are not able to have parents attend with their child during the day. If separation is difficult for your child, we can assist you and your child through preparation for camp and planning the approach we can take together during drop off each morning. In oast years we have found that it has taken a big effort and lots of calm support to help a chld join a group and leave their parent on the first day, and even the second, but together we have all got there and the child, parent and therapist have been able to feel good about their success – this is part of the therapeutic process of camp.
Some ideas for preparing for camp this include meeting the Therapists leading the group (some therapy appointments with this therapist could be arranged), photos of the camp site and activities can be provided and we also have some social stories that we have prepared about going to camp Jimbelung and the camp activities.
Does my child need to receive therapy through Early Start Australia before or after camp in order to be able to attend ?
Camp Jimbelung is designed as an independent intensive therapy experience open to children regardless of where or if they participate in therapy elsewhere.
For children who do not attend Early Start Australia for therapy, we do require a short appointment in person or over Zoom as part of the application process, to ensure that camp will be a good fit and to give your child an opportunity to be familiar with the group leader prior to the start of camp. More details about this are located in the Camper Pack in the menu bar above.